CBoD's Southern Style Apple Pie
November 7 2019·
November 7 2019·
Make a CBD Apple Pie!
Apple pie is an American staple (and a Duke boys' favorite!) This pie combines a blend of Granny Smith and Mackintosh apples packed into a flaky, buttery pie crust, adding antioxidant-rich CBD for an extra boost!
*Requires 3 hours including baking time.
For the pie dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the pie filling:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 6 Mackintosh apples
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus additional for pie top
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, plus additional for pie top
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 mL CBoD Apple Pie Moonshine CBD tincture
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Combine flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor. Add butter and process the mixture for about 8 to 10 seconds.
- While the food processor is running, slowly add ice water in a steady stream through the feed tube and pulse for up to 30 seconds until dough holds together without being wet or sticky. To test, squeeze a small amount together: If it’s crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Divide dough into two equal balls and wrap in plastic. Chill in the refrigerator for around 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, prepare apple mixture. Peel, core, and slice apples into ¼ inch thick slices and finely zest the lemon peel. In a large bowl, combine apples, sugar, lemon zest, spices, and flour. Toss well.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pie dough into two 1/8-inch-thick circles to a diameter slightly larger than that of an 11-inch plate. Press one pastry circle into the pie plate. Place the other circle on waxed paper, and cover with plastic wrap. Chill all pastry until firm, around 15 minutes.
- Spoon apples into pie pan. Dot with butter and CBD oil and cover with remaining pastry circle. Cut several steam vents across top crust.
- Seal by crimping edges. Brush pie crust with beaten egg yolk and sprinkle with additional sugar and ground cinnamon.
- Bake until crust is brown and juices are bubbling, about 1 hour. Let cool on wire rack before serving.